Thursday, January 8, 2009

Epiphany

While I was studying up on the lds.org online scriptures, in order to create my "ideal online scripture-study website" I began to actually discover what IS there. I found that there is quite a bit that I can do with what is already there. I discovered that I can mark the scriptures (up to 75 of them) and it will automatically save it for me. I love how I can click on the various links and go so quickly to something else. I also figured out that I can place the cursor over the footnote items and a box appears telling me what the footnote contains. That's a lot easier than actually looking it up in a footnote.

Even though I have to click through several menus to arrive at my reading spot, it's not too bad when I do it enough to become familiar with it. I can now go to my reading place quickly, if not efficiently. :)

So, by studying out how I could create my ideal, I found that after I was more familiar with the existing tools, I came to like them more. Now, I have read the Doctrine and Covenants online for three nights in a row (instead of doing sudoku) and I am taking my laptop with me to family scripture study in the mornings. (Sidenote: my scriptures were too small for me to read since I lost my glasses. With my laptop serving as my scriptures, I can increase the text size to suit my fancy.) End result? I crossed over the hump. I started actually reading and studying, and suddenly, I feel less urgency to create the fabulous, do-it-all and make it slick-as-a-whistle website that entices me to do my scripture study!

Sigh, I hate to admit these things, but there you have it.

P.S. My kids really like to sit by me at family scripture study when I am reading from my laptop. They can read from it too and it helps them stay a wee bit more interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment