Thursday, January 8, 2009

Not My Favorite, But...

Okay, so I admit that when the church curriculum focuses on the Doctrine and Covenants I find myself lacking in enthusiasm. Maybe that's an indication that I don't know enough about it, and therefore there's no real love affair established. I can buy that. Still, it's harder to get into it.

The cool thing was, that when I started in, trying to figure out how to organize my approach, I stumbled on some interesting and enjoyable things. It was like I accidentally became interested.

I started reading in the Explanatory Introduction. When it got to the part where it talks about those, other than Joseph Smith, Jr., who received revelations that were included in the Doctrine and Covenants, I clicked on the magic links to look into it further. The next thing you know I am totally enthralled. I read the entire section. Then I click on the next one and away I go. That took care of my reading for several nights and I didn't even make it past the first couple of paragraphs in the Explanatory Introduction, for Pete's sake. In doing so, I learned quite a bit about some sections that I wasn't really familiar with. It gave me a deeper understanding and testimony of both the prophets who delivered the revelations to us and the revelations themselves. You may want to check it out yourselves!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I started to truly appreciate Doctrine and Covenants until I read it when I was serving my mission. I think because so much of it was so relevant to what I was doing every day it made a greater impact. Best wishes in your reading of the Scriptures this year.

    ReplyDelete